Assists faculty and students in library. Performs specialized technical/clerical duties, working with books, periodicals, audiovisual, databases and computer equipment.
UNDER SUPERVISION OF:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES:
1. Assists librarian with supervision of students, including assisting with the instruction and supervision of students using library computer hardware and software for research, printing, etc.
2. Assists librarian with supervision and training of student assistants in circulation and on‐line catalog system.
3. Uses, maintains, inventories, and instructs on the usage of library materials and library technology equipment.
4. Assists in the Library Media Center with technology use and problems with computers/software/printers. Helps to maintain computer labs and ensures computers are in good working order. Orders supplies as needed.
5. Orders, receives, catalogues and displays new materials including hardware, software, books, journals and other research materials.
6. Assists faculty and students in identifying needs, locating, using and ordering materials.
7. Performs reference duties by helping students and staff to become more efficient in finding materials both in books and on the internet for research projects.
8. Works with instructional staff to integrate use of library resources into curriculum.
9. Maintains a current record of all student debts related to library or textbooks.
10. May assist with general textbook distribution. Assists with and advises the administration and librarian on the coordination of textbook distribution/collection and need for short term employees.
11. Maintains use records, supplies, counts and deposits money, contacts repair person, and assists students with the use of library copiers, printers, and other equipment.
12. Generates all library requisitions and maintains copies. Responsible for laminating.
13. Maintains daily circulation statistics.
14. Coordinates and assists with county library services.
15. Must be able to meet and interact with employees and parents/guardians in routine situations, which require tact, discretion, and courtesy.
16. Other related duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
High school diploma or equivalent and previous clerical, library and computer systems experience desirable.
CERTIFICATES AND LICENSES:
Must possess a valid First Aid Card and CPR Certificate. Prefer membership in California Library Association. Valid California drivers’ license and evidence of insurance, access to an automobile, TB, and criminal justice fingerprint clearance.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent, draw and interpret graphs. Performs arithmetic calculations at the level necessary for satisfactory job performance.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing. Ability to effectively present information in one‐on‐one and small group situations to staff, parents, students, administrators and the public.
Ability to independently problem solve unique student and employer situations. Ability to understand and carry out detailed written and oral instructions.
OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
Knowledge of library catalog system; library research and reference skills; office procedures and practices, including filing systems, receptionist and telephone techniques, letter and report writing, and sound bookkeeping procedures; English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation; ability to operate common office machines. Ability to interpret and apply pertinent school district procedures, policies, laws, rules and regulations, and to apply them with good judgment in a variety of situations. Proficient in use of word processing, spreadsheets, and database management software. Meets the public tactfully and courteously and answer questions correctly; compile and maintain accurate records and files. Establish and maintain cooperative relationships with those contacted in the course of work. Ability to use a computer and job‐related software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, and sit. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee will occasionally lift and/or push up to 40 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.